Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Going on

I've been waiting for something good to talk about cuz I feel like I am boring my blog readers. Not good. What can i say, when you lead a boring life, all you talk about is boring stuff. Here I go, try to stay awake. I have been having a little trouble with my awesome son Alex. He has always been a little different socially and doesn't make friends that easily. I hate seeing that cuz it's exactly how I grew up and it does not feel good. I was talking to my counselor (yes I see a shrink, what of it :)) and talking to her about his problems and what to do about them and she suggested I take him in to his doctor to see if he suffers from anxiety like I do. So I take him in and the doctor talks to him and asks a lot of questions. Finally he turns to me and says well it's obvious that he has a social disorder. This particular one that Alex has just makes him a bit different from other kids. For example, if a group of kids are with each other playing ball or something, the one kids that has the disorder is off on his own playing by himself. Kind of like the odd ball. No, that does not mean he is handicapped in any way. He just likes things differently then other kids. He may also suffer from ADHD but the doctor doesn't want to test him on that till the fall. So we will have to wait on that diagnosis. Otherwise he is such a smart handsome boy that loves to be loved. He is so much like me it is scary. He goes through a lot of what I went through emotionally at that age, and has so many of my habits. Sheesh! I really wish I didn't pass down all that crap. It was so hard growing up with my problems that I still am affected by it. Poor baby. And even though I know exactly what he is going through when he gets rejected by people, I have no idea how to help him. Sometimes I wish I could say "Alex, if someone talks to you like that again go kick their butts" but I can't. I just have to talk to him about the best thing to do and hope he uses it sometime. Man it's hard being a parent sometimes. It is hard to treat him the same as Mikaila, which I would love to do because I am very against treating one kid as the favorite, while the other one feels left out. It is so easy with Mikaila. She's Miss Perfect child. She does everything right, she is gorgeous and she just makes me smile. Alex is more difficult. I am constantly having to lecture him about not listening, getting into trouble at school, talking back, being too loud, etc... I feel like I am playing favorites and that makes me so upset. I want Alex to ALWAYS know that I love him just as much as Mikaila. Maybe even feel like he is more special because he is my first baby. You can't just replace the love you feel for your first baby. He has always been so special to me. I love watching him grow up and learn things but makes me sad that he is struggling. I hate seeing him treated differently but I hope he can grow up a better person then I did, and always feel like he more loved then any kid could ever be in the world because he is my son and he is the best one out there to me. I love you buddy bear. You are the most awesome kid ever! Love Mom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rach.
Just from what I've observed Marty & yourself are doing a fantazmic jobs as parents. I have no idea how to raise children... but from what I've observed in my vast years of being an Auntie. You can't coddle him, but you can't abandon him to peer bullying. I think what you are doing is good; stepping back, but at the same time making him aware of how much you love him, and how unbelievably lucky you are to have him as a son. :)

Ella said...

Hang in there Rachel, You are a great Mom, but please promise me you will get more than one opinion if they diagnose him with ADHD, the worst mistake I made was putting my child on those pills they give them, horrible stuff! I'm sorry for Alex, he is a sweet kid. He just need to find his niche. I love you and I know you will do everything in your power to help Him, grow into the person you always dreamed of. He is a great kid and I think he is very friendly and tries to be everybody's friend and include them, no matter who they are. He is just a sweetheart!!! Just like his Mom!Love ya Ella

living life said...

hey i agree with everyone else you are a fantasmagorical mom! i know you have mikaila in dance classes, have you ever tried putting alex in like a little leagueor something? sammy (baby brother of mine) has a social disorer to, adn my dad has put him on a soccer league, and its helping him learn to get along with the other kids, i dunno, maybe it'll help alex, my parents had to let the coach know that sammy needed a little extra attention and the coach is very good at making sure sammy's never left out..sammy's problem is he gets mad and violent(ish) when he's over whelmed, and my mom says the soccer is definatley helping.. i dunno just a thought..:D

Rachel Doyle said...

Hey Rachel -

Give me a call sometime if you want to know about ADHD - not only do I have professional experience with it but a lot of personal experience. You will have a lot people give you an opinion - including me - but remember you will know and do what is best for your child - it may take a bit of time to figure it out -- but you are a good mom and Marty is a good dad. Never forget that!!!