Friday, October 17, 2008

Fine........................

"Patience is a virtue". I hear this all the time and even tell people that sometimes, but yet I still have not grasped the full meaning of it. I have little to no patience when it comes to things I am really looking forward to. Time seems to go slower and slower the more I look forward to that event. As I have written before, i was more then anxious for Adalea to have her puppies. Things have been crazy and I really wanted to check that off my things that need to be done list. I also really wanted to have a cute baby to cuddle with. I admit it, I am baby hungry. Not much I can do about it, but oh well. Anyway, so on Wednesday I noticed Adalea acting like she was in labor. YAY! But I didn't want to get excited because I had been let down before, so I waited it out. After several hours of her panting and pacing, I finally put her in the nice warm shed with her blankets so she could relax. Not realizing that in 2 hours she would have them when i wasn't paying attention. I feel really bad about this though, even though it's not really my fault but I feel like it is. I had an urge to go check on her earlier, but dismissed it because first i was scared to go out in the dark (yes, i am afraid of the dark) and second I didn't want to go in there and be disappointmed again so i waited.
Finally marty comes home from scouts and goes to check on her and immediatly runs out yelling at me to get some towels and warm water. Shocked because I have no idea what has happened I go do it and go in the shed to find that her first puppy had been born a while ago and the sac had not been broken around it so it had suffocated. So I burst into tears at the fact that if i had checked on her I could have saved this beautiful puppy. She had also had another one after that and it was alive but very cold. So while marty was trying to see if we could save the dead puppy I worked on warming the other one up. It's now around 9:30 pm and we are sad for the lost puppy and waiting for Adalea to have the rest. She of course is waiting some more and obviously umcomfortable. After a couple of hours of her resting and not giving birth, she finally has another one around 11:30. After that it's one after another while me and marty sit and watch and make sure everything runs smoothly. After a while, I went to bed while marty sat and watched for a while and we were going to switch shifts so he could get some sleep too. 2:00 am came and she is finally done. There were 12 puppies in all. WHOA! I knew she was big but I didn't expect that many. So we have 11 puppies whining and looking for mommy. They are adorable and tiny. After making sure that Adalea is doing well and being a good mommy to her puppies we go to bed. It was a long night.
I am very proud of her though. She is a way better mom then Nila was. Nila didn't care to lay down and let her puppies eat, Adalea won't get up for anything. hahah. I am glad it's finally done, but now I have to worry about them growing up and pooping everywhere. There's going to be a LOT! Wah! We are going to sell them all though, we can't afford 3 dogs. So if any of you want one, or knows someone that might want one, we are selling the white ones for $100 (there are 6 white ones...I think) and the black ones (there are 5) for $50. (Just cuz the black ones don't sell very well.) Spread the word and come see them. They are cute! I will post pics soon.

No comments: